Charts - Configuration
- First, it is recommended that you generate a report from the Report Definition you choose to use for the chart.
- Look at it to ensure you have sensible, usable data.
- Observe the type of data created as well as the column headings, to help determine how to populate the proper fields.
Configuration of Charts
Once you have created and updated a Report Definition, you may configure a chart. If you make any changes to a pre-existing Report Definition, make sure to Update it. We provide an example here, using a Report Definition we created.
- Click Configuration.
Look at the Associated Generated Report
To aid yourself in determining which fields will need to be populated in the configuration, as well as determining what type of data to use for the various fields, look at a generated Report first. Note the type of data generated. Is it primarily textual or numerical? If numerical, the numerical type, sum, average etc., as well as the Titles of the columns generated in the report will be used in the chart.
General Settings in Configuration
When using the Chart Module for the first time, the various configuration fields will be empty, with the drop-down menus un-selected. Certain subsequent fields may be added, removed or reconfigured, based on various selections.
- Chart Name: Select something relative to the chart. In our example, we use Learner Activity With LE Detail.
- Report Type: Use the drop-down menu to select the Report Type your chart will be generated from. Here we use, Learner Activity/Transcript: LE Detail.
- Report Definition: Use the drop-down menu to select the Report Definition. It is necessary to create this definition prior to generating a chart. See Reports. For our example here, we use Learner Activity With LE Detail which is a Report Definition we created.
- Chart Type: Use the drop-down menu to select from Pie, Bar, Line, Multi-Bar and Multi-Line. This will be determined by the type of chart you want as well as the type of data to be charted. For this example, we use Multi-Bar.
- Chart Data Types: Use the drop-down menu to select the Chart Data Types for the chart. Options available in the drop-down menu may vary depending on the Chart Type selected in the previous step. For this example, it is necessary to select Text, Text or Date.
- All fields with a red asterisk must be filled.
Report Columns-Chart Assignments
- In order to generate the Multi-Bar chart in this example, it is necessary to use the drop-down menu for User Name and select Text - Data (Count) and Primary Grouping.
- In the drop-down menu for Folder Name, we select Text or Date - Secondary Grouping.
Note: This may vary, depending on what Chart Type is selected as well as what type of data is generated by the associated Report Definition. Some charts will require only one populated field in this section, while others will require two.
X and Y Axis Custom Labels
Depending on the type of chart you choose, custom labels may be added to the X and Y axis of the chart. The X axis is the horizontal axis and the Y axis is the vertical axis. This does not apply to Pie charts.
- Click Update and Regenerate.
Immediately after clicking Update and Regenerate, the message below will show. Waiting briefly before refreshing the page will typically allow the desired chart to display. In cases where large amounts of data must be formatted, it may take a few minutes. If the message displays for more than several minutes after a few refresh attempts, there is usually a problem with one of the settings. Review the settings, make corrections and click Update and Regenerate again. There will likely be some trial and error involved.
An Error Message can indicate several potential issues. There may have been improper drop-down menu selections or necessary fields left blank. Review settings and try again.
If the proper Chart Configuration fields were used in conjunction with your chosen Report Definition, the chart will display as desired.
Not all the Chart Types are appropriate for all the types of Report Definitions. Try to choose a chart type compatible with the type of data you wish to display.